Sunday, November 23, 2014

And I still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For


U2's "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" has a great surfing down the waves under spinnaker kind of tension and drive.  I first encountered the song when we were living on a sailboat on Puget Sound in the 80's.  It mixes aspiration, inspiration, bathos, and cheap poetry with great rhymes and a sticky musical hook. It has echoed in my brain all these years.

But Bono and the lads have left me behind. As I look at recordings of them now, there's too much self-importance.  Greased hair, leather, and sun-glasses on a dark stage don't do it for me. Too much success is oozing too much self-regard.  It has ruined the original version of the song for me.

So I'm looking for one great cover.

Gospel choirs have picked up the song. U2 have played with several of them. They can feel godly and the choir can feel like rock-stars. It's a win-win.

Sexy couples have done it.

Folk bands have covered it. I liked this version by Jenny & Tyler. It's not perfect. It's aspirational, it's sincere.

I still haven't' found what I'm looking for. But I relate to this simple slightly off-key version on the Ukulele by Ken Middleton.




No comments:

Post a Comment