"What is the nature of the border between truth and lies? It is permeable and blurred because it is planted thick with rumour, confabulation, misunderstandings and twisted tales. Truth can break the gates down, truth can howl in the street; unless truth is pleasing, personable and easy to like, she is condemned to stay whimpering at the back door."Indeed. Top that.
Here is the list of her works as listed in Wikipedia. I really must get to more of this.
- Every Day is Mother's Day: Chatto & Windus, 1985
- Vacant Possession: Chatto & Windus, 1986
- Eight Months on Ghazzah Street: Viking, 1988
- Fludd: Viking, 1989
- A Place of Greater Safety: Viking, 1992
- A Change of Climate: Viking, 1994
- An Experiment in Love: Viking, 1995
- The Giant, O'Brien: Fourth Estate, 1998
- Beyond Black: Fourth Estate, 2005
- Wolf Hall: Fourth Estate, 2009
- Bring Up the Bodies: Fourth Estate, 2012
- The Mirror and the Light: in progress
- Learning to Talk (Fourth Estate, 2003)
- The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher: Stories (Fourth Estate, 2014)
- Giving Up the Ghost: Fourth Estate, 2003
- "What a man this is, with his crowd of women around him!", London Review of Books, 30 March 2000.
- "Some Girls Want Out", London Review of Books, v. 26 no. 5, pg 14–18, 4 March 2004. Describes extreme fasting for religious purposes as "holy anorexia", compares it with "secular anorexia", and characterizes both as "social hypocrisy".
- "Diary", London Review of Books, 4 November 2010.